School of Nursing
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Earn more and get the credentials you need to diagnose, prescribe and treat patients with an online Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) from Florida A&M University (FAMU). Program prepares students to begin a new career path as a Nurse Practitioner (NP) and acquire Adult Gerontology Primary Care NP credentials. Plus, you’ll finish your degree faster with only 42 required credits as opposed to the 57 credits called for by other programs.
Key Benefits of a FAMU MSN
We've taken great care to integrate a curriculum that prepares our graduates for workforce realities in primary care. Many FAMU MSN program graduates come from minority backgrounds so our program operates with a cultural sensitivity many of our students appreciate.
- No matter where you live, choosing FAMU for your MSN degree means you also get the specialized guidance you need to find a preceptor in your home area
- Faster graduation - only 42 credits required, whereas many others require up to 57.
- Program designed to be easily managed around work and personal obligations.
- Consistently high rate of certification – Program created with national certification exam in mind
- Program offers the adult/gerontology track
- Excellent employment opportunities: High demand due to requirements of the 2010 Affordable Care Act
- Online student tuition includes:
- Free access to web-based tool, to help track patient interaction and clinical hours
- Faculty to student ratio is 1:6, In accordance with the national standard, ensuring ample personal attention from board-certified instructors--many of whom are published and actively conducting research in complementary alternative medicine, gerontology, self health management and other areas.
- Two on-campus residencies
Curriculum and Accreditation
The FAMU School of Nursing is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and the curriculum is influenced by the American Association of the College of Nursing, the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty, and the Institute of Medicine.
Requirements Before You Apply
Candidates must hold a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from an accredited college or university and demonstrate academic potential: (a) minimum GPA of 3.0 (in the last 60 semester hours of study) and/or (b) minimum GRE score of 300 (150 verbal and 150 quantitative). Additionally, MSN candidates must meet a number of school-specific requirements, including a personal statement, Level II background check and drug screen. Post-Masters certificate program is available for students.
Due to restrictive state regulations, Florida A&M University (FAMU) is not permitted to provide online courses or instruction to students from some states. If you reside in a restricted state, you may not be permitted to enroll in or be admitted to a FAMU online program. Please contact your state’s higher education regulation authorities for more details.
CLICK HERE for more information on your state's regulations.